In time for Thanksgiving, gather your children into the kitchen to make this wonderful recipe below. We are thankful to all of those who make Bayou Village School a unique and magical place to send our children to school each day. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Grain Free Pumpkin Pie
Author: Wellness Mama
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 cup of almonds or pecans, finely ground in blender until flour like (or almond flour)
- 3 TBSP of coconut oil plus some to grease pie pan
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon powder (1/4-1/2 tsp or to taste)
- For Filling-
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin (nothing added) or approx 2 cups of homemade pureed pumpkin with excess liquid drained
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup of honey and/or maple syrup (or to taste) but the honey actually helps it hold better (we used a bit of both)
- 1 Tablespoon of pumpkin pie spices or about 2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ tsp each of cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla
- coconut milk to thin (no more than about ⅓ cup)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease pie pan with coconut oil and mix crust ingredients by hand in a medium sized bowl.
- Press crust into bottom and sides of pie pan and put in the oven while making the filling.
- In the same bowl (no need for extra dishes!) combine the filling ingredients (except coconut milk) and mix using an immersion blender. If you don't have one of these, use a regular blender or food processor. A hand-mixer will not get it as smooth! It should be smooth and spreadable, but not really pourable. Add coconut milk if needed to thin slightly.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the crust as it barely starts to brown.
- Pour/smooth the filling over the crust and return to oven for about an hour or until center is no longer jiggly. Will set more as it cooks.
- Top with coconut cream or whipped heavy cream and some chopped pecans.